Monday, March 23, 2009

Grandpa's Closet

The other day I asked Grandma if I could borrow her new sewing machine to mend a few things (mine bit the dust.) She told me that I could any time and if she wasn't around, to simply look on the floor of Grandpa's closet and I would find it. I ran over to her house today, and found myself a mess once again. Who new that a closet could do this to me? It gets me every time. I swung open the door, and there hanging in the closet were Grandpa's jeans; pocket knife still in place. I couldn't help it. Tears began to pour down my cheeks as I looked, smiled and reminisced of what a wonderful man Grandpa was. Man I love him! Friday is John's and mine anniversary. Married 10 wonderful years. As I look back, I remember being a little apprehensive about being a part of the Slack Family. Not because I didn't feel the love, or that I wouldn't belong. Our family's were just so different. Sheer bliss. That is all I can say. This family is great! And really...who wouldn't want to be a part of it? And to think that it all began with such a wonderful man; that of Grandpa Slack. I look back on the day of his passing. I honestly didn't know how life was going to continue on without him. He was truly a daily part of our lives. He was so tender and loving, especially towards our children. They loved and idolized Grandpa. He was more than just a Grandpa to them. He was their exemplar...in every way. He was the perfect hero one could ever look up to and aspire to be like. My thoughts of Grandpa Slack are nothing but of sincere gratitude and love for him. My heart is torn between the loss of a great man, and the irreplaceable loving memories of him. I never knew that one could feel this way about their father-n-law...but now I say, "Who wouldn't, when Grandpa Slack is theirs?" I love that darn closet, and a part of me hopes that it will never change. I suppose I will have these tears once again. And for me, that would be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment